The Roman Bath  Open-Air Museum and Ruins Place  shed light on the important cultural treasures of Ankara with its sections of tomb stalls, inscriptions and architectural pieces  .

According to the information collected by the AA correspondent, the Roman Bath built by the Roman Emperor Caracalla in the name of Asklepion of Health God in 212-217 after milat, stands out as the important cultural treasures of the capital.

The Roman Bath, located at the Ulus district of Çankırı Caddesi, one of the historical centers of Ankara, is one of the biggest baths built during the Roman Empire period.

Open-air museum of the capital: Roman Bath - image HAZIRAN%2Fagustos%2FHAMAMM_ on

It is stated that the site was not only a hamam but also a mound, it was used as a settlement from Phrygia, Rome and partly by Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods from top to bottom.

The historic museum, which covers an area of ​​approximately 65 thousand square meters and which has been transformed into an open-air museum as a result of the works carried out in 1997-2001, is exhibited for visiting about 1000 works, tomb stools, inscriptions and architectural pieces brought from different parts of the capital.

Water was transported from Elmadağ thanks to stone blocks

Archaeological excavations first began in 1937 to uncover the Roman Bath. Professor Dr. Excavations by Remzi Oğuz Arık revealed the floors of the Phrygian and Roman monuments of the mound. The hammam building, which was unearthed as a result of these excavations, came into full day with the excavations in 1939-1943.

Open-air museum of the capital: Roman Bath - image HAZIRAN%2Fagustos%2FMAAAAAAAAAAAAA on

The entrance of the Roman Bath opens to the sports area surrounded by a colonnaded colonnade. This portico has a rich collection of 128 marble columns and inscriptions collected from the Roman monument Ankara.

The excavated hammam has a center of physical training and wrestling called ” Palaestra ” and closed hammams.

It is known that Elmadağ, which is located 40 kilometers away to provide a bathing water source, is transported by stone blocks and served to approximately 100 thousand people.

The booklet gives information about the history of Ankara

The site of the Roman Bath was restored to an open-air museum in 1997-2001.

There are three main groups in the ruins: “grave stellar”, “inscriptions” and “architectural pieces”.

The tombs of the Roman and Byzantine periods on the south and west wings of the sport area, the blocks of the inscriptions on the north wing, postaments and water vessels on the east wing, altar and other architectural works on the eastern wing and sarcophagus and lion sculptures in the middle are exhibited.

Open-air museum of the capital: Roman Bath - image HAZIRAN%2Fagustos%2FDIREKKKKKKKKKKKKK on

In addition, written inscriptions displayed at the site give information about Ankara’s history. These books contain information on the economic, social, cultural, commercial structure and sporting events of the period as Emperor Vespasianus erected an association of retired soldiers in Ankara.

Other artifacts in this area include column headings, column bases and other small architectural pieces.

 Open 7 days a week

Nejat Cakmak, an open-air museum officer responsible for the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, said that he had completed 90% of his restoration work in the bath, which he told AA correspondent.

The Roman Bath Open Air Museum and the Ruins are open every day of the week, indicating that the excursion trails and environmental regulations were made so that these works could be seen more closely.

Open-air museum of the capital: Roman Bath - image pinit_fg_en_rect_red_28 on


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here